Monday, September 27, 2010

Interesting Stock Market Facts and Statistics

Hey everyone, sorry for not having been able to update this blog in a few days, posts usually take much longer than my other blogs to create, and I have had a lot of schoolwork to deal with.

Anyways, I will create new awesome original content in the near future, however for now, please enjoy some of these interesting stock market facts and statistics!



29 Very Interesting Stock Market Facts and Statistics!

I added some pictures as well to dist- I mean keep you interested, please check out my new blog, if you haven't already!






Author: Matthew Merriman



October 2008 has raised interest in the stock market due to widespread news coverage on the banks closing and therefore stocks falling. So to supplement your interest here are 28 very interesting stock market statistics for you!

$36.6 trillion - the estimated size of the world stock market at the beginning of October 2008.

22.6% - the biggest fall of the Dow Jones in 1 day! (1987)

15.34% - the biggest gain of the Dow Jones in 1 day! (1933)

30% drop in the market - Would mean the NYSE would close trading there and then for the day.

80% - the amount of capitalisation represented by the FTSE 100 on the whole London Stock Exchange.

400-1 - The leverage given to you by some FOREX companies!

$2000 - the initial deposit you must legally have in the US to open a margin account.

£0 - the amount of tax you have to pay on a spread betting account in the UK as its classed as gambling.

86.3% - the amount of FOREX traders that trade the USD

500% - The amount the stock market grew between 1982 and 1993 in terms of capitalisation.

1602 - the year the first shares were issued on the Amsterdam stock exchange

$11 million - the amount a company must have earned over the last 3 years to gain a listing on the NASDAQ stock exchange

83% - The percentage of wealth given away by famous investor Warren Buffet to the Bill % Melinda Gates charitable foundation

$26 trillion - The current value of mutual funds

1790 - The date of the oldest stock exchange in the US opened (Philadelphia)

143,646,198 - The volume of the most traded ETF on the US markets, SPY.

0.5% - The agreed worldwide interest rate drop in October 2008 to counteract the huge drops in shares.

GRRR - The symbol of Lion Country Safari (ok not technically a stat but worth knowing!)

24.39% - The amount lost on the Dow Jones index due the effects of World War I.

£9,600 - The amount you can earn (UK) before paying capital gains tax of 18% on stocks, better than the £5,600 income tax allowance!

0 - The amount of capital gains tax paid in Mexico, Malaysia and Barbados to name a few.

50% - A rough estimate of the rise in the share price of Apple in the aftermath of the iPhone.

1984 - The year the FTSE 100 index was introduced with a staring value of 1000.00 (6950.60, the highest value reached to date, 1999)

1 - The position of Royal Dutch Shell as the most capitalised share in the UK (Oil company, 31 Dec 2007)

1993 - The year the first ETF was introduced tracking the S&P 500

89% - The amount wiped off stocks between 1929-1932, during the great depression.

2 - The position of the Tokyo stock exchange in terms of most capitalised stock exchanges.

2008 - The year oil reached $100 a barrel

14.68% - The drop in the Dow Jones in the first half of 2008.

I hope these stock market statistics have quenched your stock market interest for now, good luck with the trading guys! Don't forget to check out my website for more information on the stock market!

Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com/finance-articles/29-very-interesting-stock-market-facts-and-statistics-643206.html

33 comments:

  1. so is this the part wher we grab our ankles and kiss are asses goodbuy lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, nice writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think anyone on the earth can even barely imagine what represents 36.6 TRILLONS of $$...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So waiting for facebook to go public. I didn't get to ride the internet stock gravy train the first time around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe it's just because it's 4 in the morning, but all those statistics turned into Kanji when I looked at them o__o

    ReplyDelete
  6. huh, interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't even read this, I only saw hot chicks rolling around in money...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting as always, thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the chicks didnt helped ur post :P I always scrolled up .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I had money to invest when the market was really down a few years ago, but then again I bet a lot of people did too. I hope you post some more stats from 2009 and 2010(when available).

    Thanks for the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 2008 was rough, its bout to get rougher

    ReplyDelete
  12. interesting stats, they are a nice read

    ReplyDelete
  13. the text was kinda scary but the pretty ladies made me feel better. good reads.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, yeah, that is really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My dad had a couple of thousand Apple shares that he sold cheap 10 years ago... I wanna kill him now :/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Time to make me some money!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 3.66 trillion:more money than i can even comprehend

    ReplyDelete
  18. Phew been answering comments on my other blogs for the last hour and a half, visited a tonne of blogs and following a lot of new and great ones!

    If your new to this blog, check out some of my earlier more inspired posts!

    I'll continue to write my own original material soon, keep tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  19. All these numbers really gave me a headache this morning. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  20. can't wait to read more man.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some of this was a bit over my head. But thank you for all the info! It really gives me something to think about now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is awesome, keep it up, I always have found the stock market interesting

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, interesting. I just reopened my blog, so feel free to come pay me a visit soon :D I'll have some updates shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really wish I could invest right now

    ReplyDelete